Should I Have my Home Re-wired?
At C. Stretch Electrical, this question is often asked by our customers. Many people believe that there is a magic formula for when a home needs a re-wire, but in truth there are many different reasons that this could be required such as:
- The age of the home
- No grounded conductor present at outlets
- The condition of the home
- Suitability of the home’s present wiring for new owners
The Age of the Home
Most American homes, built in the late 1950’s to present, will have PVC non metallic (Romex) style wiring. Before the 1950’s, home wiring was a tar covered fabric wire that becomes stiff and inflexible over time. Ultimately it becomes brittle. If there is any heat build up in the older brittle wire, it becomes a fire hazard in the home.
Even if your older home does have compliant PVC non metallic (Romex) style wiring, it is very possible that the outlets have no grounded conductor present. This is incredibly dangerous, especially for the young and the elderly, as these age groups are much more prone to injury or even death from electrocution.
To identify an ungrounded receptacle: an ungrounded receptacle only has two slots on it and no round hole for the ground pin on the plug. See the image below for an example. If your home has outlets that look like the one on the left, then you will need at least partial re-wiring at your home.